Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Bejeeberish 101

May 9, 2011 Grand Isle, LA

Bill and I use different brand toothpastes. Each to her/his own.
Bill and I have our own coffee. His is overstrength caffeinated. Mine is regular strength decaf.
Bill loves Mexican food. I prefer salads.
You're getting the picture.

It's hot and humid here in Louisiana. By mid-morning we escape into the tiny Casita with its air-conditioning. Bill likes it very cold. I like it cool. And so begins the dance of the thermostat.

Fade a moment to the past. When I was in elementary school our family took a trip to Plymouth Rock in Massachusetts to partake in Thanksgiving dinner as the Pilgrims and Indians were purported to have had it. It was a very cold year. It snowed. Sometime on the trip the driver's side window on the family Buick got stuck half way down (or up, as the case may be). My sister and I were wrapped in blankets in the back seat. At one point my father exclaimed “This is freezing the bejeebers out of me.” I'd never heard that before and have never heard it since...until this morning when all of a sudden I said to Bill, “This is freezing the bejeebers out of me!”

How short the connection from the past to the present can be!

I find it easier to throw on a sweatshirt than to ask Bill to strip. Ahh, comfort!



What is a bejeeber?
In: Definitions and Word Differences [Edit categories

Answer:
There isn't really anything called a bejeeber. It is just a saying... "you scared the bejeebers out of me." It means that they were very surprised and scared for a short period of time, because they weren't expecting you, or didn't see you, or something.
The dictionary lists it, but under an archaic spelling/pronunciation: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=bejabers



where in the

No comments:

Post a Comment